Sunday 10 April 2016

Spinning plates, swimming sharks and running down hills

There is a myth regarding sharks, they have to keep swimming or else they can't breathe. According to the American Museum of Natural History this isn't quite true but the myth has relevance here. In response to my post about stress I was sent a message which I will share with you:

I like to use the spinning plate analogy. I see each of those pressures as a spinning plate. As a teacher it is our responsibility to keep each one spinning and even though it is challenging it is achievable. However, if one of those pressures demands more time/emotion, say death of a parent, then the other plates start to wobble. This beginning is the stress because it is more difficult to keep them all spinning, indeed it becomes stressful. Then some might topple and fall. Now you get the feeling that it is impossible to get them all spinning again. This is stress. Now many of these pressures/plates are within our control, some are less so.  To avoid stress I guess we need to as teachers, managers, SLT be mindful and ensure that those plates that are under our control don't become unmanageable. Now there is a challenge.



I feel that keeping going in teaching has become an exercise in cracking perpetual motion. My experience is that of running down a hill. As you run you know that if you slow down or stop you're going over, and the only way to keep going is to keep moving faster and faster. The (mythical) shark constantly swimming just to keep breathing, the plate spinner or the down-hill runner, are you any of these?

If this is a shared experience then it is one that can be addressed. Discuss your feelings with your colleagues and I'm sure many of them will share your experience. Next step is the tricky one, how do we tackle it? I haven't got the answers, but I'm certainly going to think about it. There are however two clear lines of response, one coming from teachers and the other from leadership. However I need to do a lot more pondering first of all! Again, your ideas would be particularly welcome.

A big thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment