Saturday 9 April 2016

Bipolar Teachers

Given the data produced by most of the mental health charities it is fair to say that at least 1 in 100 teachers suffer from bipolar disorder. This is the most conservative estimate and I suspect that the mean value from MIND is closer to the mark which suggests that some 9000 teachers are bipolar sufferers. As with many other mental health conditions there is a stigma about it,

I have always felt that conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar, OCD and depression are separated off even by open-minded teachers from conditions such as stress. The attitude seems to be that stress is a normal condition and that it is OK to suffer from stress but the other medical conditions belong to another world of "lunacy". Since we consider that we can blame someone for our stress then we are more likely to be open about it; stress may trigger other underlying conditions but a finger can still be pointed at an external agent

In your staffroom someone is likely to have one of these conditions, they hide it and struggle with it on a daily basis. I would like to see the day when conversations take place in staff rooms that go something like this;
"I'm really struggling at the moment, the stress caused by this new head is making me anxious and giving me sleepless nights."
"I'm also having a rough time with my bipolar at the moment, I've just gone downhill rapidly and reckon that my trigger is also the new head."


Take a look a this link and hopefully understand a little more about bipolar disorder.

Please also look at Bipolar UK for more information and support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment